Monday, January 18, 2010

Are you distracted?

Sitting at home today (waiting for things to start happening) I turned on the TV. The only thing worth watching was Oprah and she was talking about how dangerous it is to use a cell phone while driving. It's called distracted driving.

It's a huge problem, and I am not guilt free. There have been times when I was on my phone while driving or have been a passenger in a car where the driver was using their phone and didn't think much of it. But let me tell you, after watching that show I will never do it again.

IT IS NOT SAFE!

You may have heard the new radio commercials that give the statistics that texting while driving is the same as driving drunk. There have been many studies done on this and here is what some experts on Oprah had to say.

TALKING on the phone while driving is the same as driving drunk; you increase your chance for an accident 4x with either.

TEXTING while driving increases your chance for an accident by 8x!

Our generation is so big into texting and talking on the phone every waking hour that to some it seems inconceivable that: 1) they could possibly be at risk by doing something that comes so automatic to them; or 2) that they could abstain from doing so long enough to drive somewhere.

THAT IS DUMB!

How many years have humans lived on this earth without having to be in constant communication with each other? Well, lets see, all except about the last decade or so. It's not going to kill any of us to leave our cell phones alone for the time that we are driving our vehicles. But it might kill us not to. And just think of how horrible you would feel if your arrogance in thinking you are the one person that truly is capable of texting or talking while driving turns out to be a false notion and you end up hurting ( or even killing) someone else, maybe even your own children.

Just a little food for thought.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree, I don't talk on the phone while driving... I just think its so dangerous, and texting while driving is one of the most selfish dangerous things you can do

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't understand how people even text while driving.

    ReplyDelete