Friday, October 9, 2009

Yesterday's Storm...

It wasn't a literal storm, but I guess you could call what I did yesterday "cooking up a storm." So here is what I made.
First off, our garden is dying. Sad, but true. So in a last attempt to use up what we have I gathered all the ripe tomatoes and peppers and made salsa. I don't have canning equipment, but I guess that's alright because I really prefer the fresh salsa taste when I can get it. Let me sum this up for you: 3 quarts of salsa + the bestest corn chips ever (aka Santitas)= 1 very happy Chelsea. I could eat this all day long (and in fact I did have some with my breakfast this morning).
Thanks to my mom for sending me this next recipe. My family calls it Pumpkin-Pie cake, thanks to Marci. She requested this for several birthdays in a row, which was fitting, seeing how her birthday is in October. It's actual name is Pumpkin Torte. Since I've been feeling very Fallish lately, and since we were having some people over for dinner (which is the only time other than Sunday's that I ever make a dessert), I enjoyed making, smelling, and tasting the wonderfulness that is Pumpkin-whatever-you-call-it. Mmmmm-mmmm good!
Next on the list was homemade chili. This is one of Dan's favorite things (though it gives me heartburn right now, usually in the middle of the night, bleh!) Warm and wonderful, you can't go wrong with chili.

And if you have chili, what better thing to accompany it than corn bread? I made two dozen muffins for six people thinking that would be more than enough. There was only ONE left. That was a close call. By the way, the light tan stuff is creamed honey. I don't know what makes it so much better tasting than regular honey, but it really is so, so very delicious. You should try it.


In other plans, this month is baby-room-preparedness month at the Kingston house. This entails finding a better place for the food storage than the middle of the second bedroom floor, sewing crib bedding, and generally making the room look like a bedroom for a baby and not a place where we dump anything we don't want to deal with or don't know where to put. I'll post progress on that later, since not much has happened in that way yet.
Besides the baby bedding, I've got a few other sewing projects planned/in the works which I'm pretty stoked about. If they turn out alright I'll post on those too, if not you will forget I ever said anything about it (insert Jedi mind trick here).
That's all for now, I think I'll go for a walk.


9 comments:

  1. Hey! I am NOT good at figuring out blogs yet! Do you have the pumpkin cake recipe? I cant find it for the life of me...I would love it! thanks:) sounds like your doing great! love you both!
    Caytlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmmm, your food all looks so yummy! You've inspired me to cook something! I'm excited o see your sewing projects, i've been in a creating mood lately

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That pumpkin torte looks fabulous! Would you share the recipe please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I saw that salsa and now I want some so bad! You'll have to come over next week- I have to reupholster our glider and I'm not sure where to start...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum Yum Yum Chels! You are amazing. I need to learn your techniques. I love chips and salsa. Tyson and I could eat it all the time! :) Its getting colder in Idaho now. But I love the crisp fall air. How is Washington?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What exactly do you do to cream the honey?? That looks so interesting. And now you have made me hungry....

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as the honey is concerned, you buy it that way. We get it by the tub from Idaho, but I think you can buy smaller containers of it at most grocery stores by the other honey.
    I'll post the recipe for the pumpkin stuff, it is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What better than a bowl of chili and corn bread with creamed honey! I hear ya on the heartburn part though! I'm glad you got to the tomatoes! I was getting worried now that we are having near freezing temps at night that they would go to waste. Next time you feel like a 'storm', call me and we'll double our efforts together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chips and salsa is a Craig favorite. Thats what he remembers most from hanging out with the CG girls back at EA! One day when our paths cross again you better believe thats what he is gonna request from you!

    ReplyDelete