Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pumpkin Torte Recipe

This is a recipe my mom got from my great grandmother Lydia Peirce. I don't know where she originially got it, but that's as far back as I can trace it.

Pumpkin Torte

Ingredients:
1 Yellow Cake Mix (with one cup separated out)
1 cup butter (1/2 softened, 1/2 melted)
3 eggs
1 lg. can pumpkin
¾ c. evap. milk
1 c. sugar
2 t. cinnamon
½ t. ground cloves
½ t. ground ginger
1 t. salt
¼ c. brown sugar
½ c. oatmeal
½ t. cinnamon

Directions:
Crust: Mix cake mix (minus one cup for topping), melted butter, and 1 egg. Spread on bottom of 9 x 13 pan and bake until lightly browned.

Filling: Mix pumpkin, 2 eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, cinnamon (2 t.), cloves, ginger (reduce to ¼ t.), and salt. Spread over crust.

Topping: Mix reserved cake mix, brown sugar, oatmeal, ½ c. softened butter, and ½ t. cinnamon until crumbly and sprinkle on top. Bake all at 350 for 1 hour.

My mom usually ommits the bottom crust and does this instead:
"I have simplified this recipe to a pumpkin cobbler. I use the same filling and put the cake mix, ½ c. butter, 1 c.oatmeal or more on the top and bake for 45 min. or until golden brown—less fat is added and it is so easy!" Her words exactly. Either way you will enjoy this to be sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment